The GUI in Okta is powerful in itself, but like many other products there is a lot more under the hood. This post will show you how to access your Okta organisation (instance) through the integrated API’s with Postman.
As the developer of Postman states: “Supercharge your API workflow with Postman! Build, test, and document your APIs faster. More than a million developers already do.…” and it can be downloaded here.
Basically you need to do 3 things:
- Generate a Token in Okta
- Install and configure Postman
- Download API collection packs from Okta
Here is how you do it:
1. Generate a Token in Okta
- Log in on your Okta webpage with an administrator
- Navigate to the Admin console
- Click Security and then API
- Click the ‘Generate Token’ button
- Enter a name and click Create Token
- Here after the Token is shown as below:
- Copy the token value and save it somewhere safe. Once you click ‘OK, got it’ you won’t be able to see the token value again!
2. Configure Postman
- Start Postman (from Google Chrome or from the Start Menu)
- In the top right corner click ‘No Environments’ and then click ‘Manage Environments’
- In the next window click Add
- Create two new rows. “url” with your Okta web address and “apikey” with your Token value:
- Click submit
- Hereafter select your new environment from the dropdown box:
3. Download API collection packs from Okta
- Okta have provided 9 collections available for download here:
- To import them (one at the time) click the Import button in top
- Then click “download from Link” and past the link. E.g.
- The collections will show up on the left hand side:
- Select one and click Send to verify that it works. From here you are ready to take full advantage of Okta’s APIs.