A deployment is stalling at the step “Wiping volume [Drive Letter]”.
As seen below, smsts.log states that it fails to complete installation of the image, with the error: “Installation of Image x in package [Package ID] failed to complete. The directory is not empty. Error: 80070091; Source: Windows”.
Investigating the remaining files on the local drive gives us a clue that some files could not be deleted. The folder “Documents and Settings” was still visible on the local drive C after attempting to wipe the drive. A single file in the users documents called “SlideIT.exe “ was not deleted during the tasksequence step “Wiping volume C”.
Notice the whitespace (“ “) in the end of “SlideIT.exe “.
Note: As this deployment was a migration scenario using Hardlink, the drive is wiped (files deleted) and the disk not formatted completely.
If a single file is named with whitespace somewhere in the name, a regular delete command cannot delete the file and folders above hierarchy. Pending file operations or corrupted files could cause this error as well.
- Locate the undeleted files on the local drive while error message is still present
- Reboot using a SCCM boot image (Bootable device or PXE) to enter WinPE
- Quickly delete the issued files and folders before the error state occurs and before the file enter “in use state” using the following commands:
- Del /s [directory] – Deletes folders and subfolders
- Rmdir /s [directory] if needed – Deletes an empty folder
- Restart deployment