This guide will guide you through extracting USMT .MIG files to the original “raw” data files using the MigRecover Utility.
Problem case: Restoring a .MIG file using Windows Easy Transfer won’t work from an x64 to an x86 OS.
Solution: You can simply extract all the raw data from the .MIG file to your hard drive.
Luckily someone (unknown) created a small application to solve this issue. Big thanks to the original author of this genius application.
Download USMT4 MigRecover Utility here
Download USMT3 MigRecover Utility here
Follow these 7 steps to complete the extraction:
- Download the MigRecover Utility for USMT3 or USMT4 from one of the links above
- Extract the downloaded archive to a desired location
- Start by renaming the .MIG file to SaveData.MIG
- Create a destination folder for the extracted “raw” files
- Open an elevated command prompt (right-click – Run as Administrator)
- Browse to the desired folder location containing “MigRecover.exe”
- Type the following command: MigRecover.exe [.MIG file location] [Destination folder] (Screenshot)
Note: Files with corrupted names (unsupported characters) will end up with the error code: “0x0000007B”
Unfortunately there is no knows solution for recovering corrupted files.