The deployment is stalling at the step “Wiping volume c”.
As seen below, smsts.log states that it fails to complete installation of the image, with the error: “The directory is not empty”.
Investigating the files on the local drive gave me a clue that some files could not be deleted. The folder “Documents and Settings” was still visible on the local drive C, and a single file in the users documents called “SlideIT.exe “ was not deleted during “Wiping volume c”.
Notice the whitespace in the end of “SlideIT.exe “.
As the deployment was a migration scenario using Hardlink, the drive is wiped (files deleted) and the disk not formatted completely.
If a single file is named with whitespace in the end, a normal delete command cannot delete the file or could be the fact that the process “Wiping volume c” was active and locked the file.
- Locate the undeleted files on the local drive while error message is still present
- Reboot using a SCCM bootdisk to enter WinPE
- Quickly delete the issued files before the error state occurs and the file(s) enter “in use state” using the following commands:
- Del /s [directory] – Deletes folders and subfolders
- Rmdir /s [directory] if needed – Deletes an empty folder
- Restart deployment